I read recently that rather than focus on the bucket list of things you haven’t done, it’s good for the mood to focus on what you have done. A reverse bucket list. So here goes. I reserve the right to add things…
- I’ve swum with basking sharks off the coast of Coll, wrestled a (tiny) alligator in Florida, had a snake draped round my shoulders in Tangiers, gone hunting with hawks, been to a bullfight in Seville and ridden a camel beside the great pyramids of Giza.
- I’ve played violin, piano and guitar in public places including Sauchiehall St, Kelvingrove Art Gallery, the Mitchell Theatre and St Peter’s Square.
- I’ve seen Bruce Springsteen at Crystal Palace, Jose Carreras at Gleneagles, The Stranglers at the legendary Glasgow Apollo, The Police in Cardiff, BB King, U2 and Nicola Benedetti. But the one person I was most star struck to see? Dolly Parton.
- I’ve seen the view from the top of the Empire State, saw the smouldering ruins of the World Trade Centre in November 2001 (by accident), walked the Mall in Washington, cycled over the Golden Gate Bridge and drove a Chevy to the levee in New Orleans. It was dry.
- We’ve been to Paris, Rome, Madrid and Berlin. Stood atop Table Mountain, tasted the wines in Stellenbosch and visited the Cape of Good Hope. Walked on an Icelandic glacier which was on top of a volcano.
- We’ve walked round Cumbrae, cycled around Arran and across Sardinia. I’ve swum 2 miles across the Clyde without a wetsuit from Kilcreggan to Greenock. I’ve skinny dipped in Loch Lomond at midnight and swum there (in a wetsuit) after breaking the ice.
- I’ve run 5km round Glasgow dressed as Santa and run 18 miles of the West Highland Way (partly in the dark) supporting a pal who ran the whole way.
- I’ve abseiled off Gartnavel General Hospital, swum 10km down the River Spey and jumped 10m off a riverbank into the River Garry. Note to self, don’t hold your breath before you take the jump. Hold your breath just before you hit the water…
- I’ve seen basketball at Madison Square Garden, baseball at Fenway (go Sox!), rugby at Murrayfield, an athletics Commonwealth gold for Scotland at Hampden and seen the mighty Queens Park play there too.
- I’ve walked on hot coals and ridden a Segway, owned and rode a Ducati Monster for a couple of years, piloted a helicopter (badly)